Natural Bioidentical Hormones are one of the key answers to the issues with aging. At The Hormone Zone, our mission is to bring the cutting-edge technology of today and the tried and tested secrets of tradition for complete hormone balance and optimal health. We accomplish this by utilizing Bioidentical Hormones to fulfill that mission for you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT BIOIDENTICAL HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY
WHAT IS A “BIOIDENTICAL” OR “BIOEQUIVALENT” HORMONE?
Not all hormones are created equally. Bioidentical or Bioequivalent are terms that describe the technical molecular structure of hormones being an exact copy of what your body makes. Your body recognizes the hormone, and the potential for negative side effects are much less. The alternative is a “synthetic” hormone that has been often greatly altered chemically and affects the body differently with a larger chance of side effects and disease. At The Hormone Zone, we focus on using Bioidentical Hormones whenever possible.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY (HRT)?
There are numerous HRT delivery methods – each has its pros and cons:
- CREAMS & GELS – These deliver hormones through the skin. One pro is that the hormone bypasses the liver and goes straight into the body. One con is that the levels can be very inconsistent.
- PATCHES are a common route of HRT, with a patch placed on the skin to deliver hormones. The patch keeps levels consistent for around three to four days. The patch must be used twice weekly and can cause adhesive allergies.
- HORMONE INTRAMUSCULAR INJECTION – One pro is the ability to adjust the dose frequently and in the hands of an experienced physician, the levels can in fact be kept consistent. One con is the need to inject multiple times a month.
- ORAL forms of the hormones can also be compounded. One pro of an oral form is the high absorbability and the relative convenience of a daily pill. One con of oral forms is the tendency towards extreme variability in hormone levels, even with an experienced physician.
- BIOIDENTICAL SUBCUTANEOUS HORMONE PELLETS – This is a less common, although burgeoning way to deliver hormone in the body. A doctor surgically places small pellets under the skin that deliver hormones constantly. The hormones are constantly and consistently delivered into the body in a steady stream. This means there is no need to take a pill or remember a cream or patch. One con is that the procedure, however easy, is still a surgical procedure and has a few days of needing to care for the insertion site, with minimal exercise and avoidance of bath tubs and swimming pools.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE A DEFICIENCY IN MY SEX HORMONES?
Prior to your appointment at The Hormone Zone, we will order very specific blood tests that will provide an initial diagnosis and clinical direction for you. Also, there are many signs, symptoms, and health issues related to a sex hormone imbalance.
HOW WILL I BE MONITORED WHILE ON HRT?
Your doctor will do blood work and other tests to ensure your hormone levels are at the optimal range. You will likely have blood work done for your sex hormones two to three times a year, or more if your clinical situation calls for it. A doctor will closely monitor signs and symptoms with comprehensive questionnaires specific to the condition, allowing for an ongoing measurement for you and your doctor.
The doctor will referred all women for annual well woman exams as well as routine breast imaging. At The Hormone Zone, you will have the unique opportunity to have your breast health monitored by cutting technology including Thermography.
DOES BIOIDENTICAL HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY CAUSE BREAST CANCER IN WOMEN?
No one has published a study demonstrating that bioidentical hormone replacement therapy causes breast cancer in women. In fact, a study called the French Cohort study demonstrated that bioidentical progesterone can decrease the risk for breast cancer.