DHEA is an important adrenal hormone that supports healthy aging. DHEA levels decline with age and adrenal stress. DHEA supports the immune system and thyroid function, as well as memory and energy function.
DHEA is a steroid hormone produced from cholesterol by the adrenal glands. It is the most abundant steroid in the bloodstream and is present at even higher levels in the brain. DHEA is also a precursor to many steroid sex hormones, including estrogen and testosterone.
DHEA seems to support IGF-1 levels (insulin growth factor) and support decreased levels of cortisol. High and prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream have been shown to have negative effects such as:
- Impaired cognitive performance and suppressed thyroid function
- Blood sugar imbalances
- Decreased bone density and a decrease in muscle tissue
- Higher blood pressure and lowered immunity
Studies have shown that supplementing with DHEA may benefit:
- The immune system
- Blood sugar metabolism and weight management
- Brain and bone health
- Heart health
- Estrogen and testosterone levels